Brainy Quote of the Day

Thursday, March 24, 2011

It is Spring...

Credit: PNAS

At least in some parts of America:

“Infusing a scientific aesthetic into a thing of beauty only enhances our appreciation of it,” Mahadevan said.  (quoted on PhysicsToday.org)

The following is generated from a mathematical model from Harvard scientists:



FLOWERS ABLOOM from Science News on Vimeo.


I am presently in Central Texas.

I have accepted a position as an engineering manager in upstate New York supporting a research facility (where there is a 50% chance of snow at the moment).

I will continue blogging about physics, however without saying anything proprietary, or be accused of "insider information" (you can quote me on that!).

When I started this blog, I had and still have a love for science.  That is what I wanted to communicate to the world literally.  My generation raised itself in the reruns of Star Trek: we wanted to create the future.

The position is after an eight-year hiatus from semiconductors (at least, a physical hiatus).  I still "thought" like a physicist/scientist/engineer.  After training in a field, it's hard to think of yourself as something else.

Although, in the eight years, I did the following:

1. Operated a martial arts school after my layoff in 2003 (call it "applied physics");
2. Self-published a memoir about the emotional rigors of unemployment -- it's WAY down there;
3. Closed #1;
4. Attended UT Austin in Astrophysics;
5. Lost my mother before Mother's Day, 2009;
6. Sold security systems;
7. Taught at two high schools: math and physics, respectively;
8. Started a blog about physics.

"Nosce te Ipsum": you can flail about when you "lose" yourself in the expectation of others: a "tyranny of expectations."

You come back to what you are: inquisitive, thrilled with the acquisition of new knowledge, fascinated about the possibilities of the future.

You come back to the people that made you who you are: they exposed me to things that my friends did not get exposed to; they prayed for me, they believed in me and made me belieive in myself.

It has been eight years, and eight in many circles is a number representing "new beginnings."

Eight. Lillies. Spring. New York. Emancipation.

Nosce te Ipsum.  It is spring...

1 comment:

  1. I am sad to see you leave. I keep feeling like this is a "loss", but I am so very happy for you. I know that the past several years have been so hard, but I know that you will be doing something that God has given you the gift/skills to do.

    ReplyDelete