Brainy Quote of the Day

Thursday, December 22, 2011

THIS is why I joined the Air Force...

...yes, I'm a veteran.
Physics arXiv

I was a Communications/Computer Systems Officer (though not nearly as attractive in uniform as Uhura, or her reboot). Then, and now, it was the youngest branch of the armed services, and the one that seemed to think in future-tense.

On the Physics arXiv link, the Air Force seems to be working on quantum computing with holograms, and according to the post, they can do it with off-the-shelf tech (like, Radio Shack, my next favorite place other than the library). Reading the paper, they seem to talk a lot about quantum teleportation.

I checked: sadly, not carried by "The Shack," but products at OptiGrate Corporation out of Florida. Probably NOT cheap!


Star Trek database: Descent, Part I

Physics arXiv: Quantum computing in a piece of glass

1 comment:

  1. I think the holograms are just simple volume Bragg gratings (aka notch filters) , so there more off the shelf than you think,

    ReplyDelete