Brainy Quote of the Day

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Rosie Took Your Job...

When you just give love
And never get love
You'd better let love depart
I know it so
And yet I know
I can't get you out of my heart

You
Made me leave my happy home
You took my love and now you're gone
Since I fell for you

Lenny Welch (should hear it sung by Al Jarreau!)


In our economy, many of the jobs most resistant to automation are those with the least economic value. Just consider the diversity of tasks, unpredictable terrains, and specialized tools that a landscaper confronts in a single day. No robot is intelligent enough to perform this $8-an-hour work.

But what about a robot remotely controlled by a low-wage foreign worker?

Hollywood has been imagining the technologies we would need. Jake Sully, the wheelchair-bound protagonist in James Cameron's Avatar, goes to work saving a distant planet via a wireless connection to a remote body. He interacts with others, learns new skills, and even gets married—all while his "real" body is lying on a slab, miles away.

As the article alludes, it's no longer science fiction!

Technology Review: The Avatar Economy; Me, My Money and My Devices



No comments:

Post a Comment