Brainy Quote of the Day

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Earthquake felt in NY...


US Geological Survey

~ 2:12 PM. Filed a report with US Geological Survey. If you felt it, the direct link to file a report is here. Click on the yellow button "Report Unknown Event." There's also a good primer on earthquakes from io9.com. It explains why the eastmost edge of North America's plate being in the middle of the Atlantic could affect little-old Mineral, Virginia.

I waited to post this for 3 reasons:

  1. Astonishment: I remember feeling an earthquake wrestling with my father when I was 3-years-old. It's a feeling you can't forget.
  2. "Good scout": the US Geological Survey has a "How do I prepare?" page with a downloadable PDF booklet.
  3. Information: There were ~ 61,000 9-1-1 calls in New York. Information dispells fear (and astonishment). Here's an animation on earthquakes from the BBC:



No comments:

Post a Comment