Brainy Quote of the Day

Monday, January 13, 2014

Vortex Whiplash...

Image Source: B&N
My first B&N link, like...ever! I saw a lot of this image on the way to work in Winter Storm Hercules (that was ahem: after digging my car out). NOTHING in New York, or should I say nothing rarely, stops for snow.

I sincerely hope we're over it.

I earlier posted a widget from 4hiroshimas.com. You can see it below my Facebook badge. It's quite impressive.

Like I said, I'm sincerely hopeful we're over it. It snows in the northeast regularly enough. That cold was biting! My Labrador gained 10 pounds according to the vet. "She's not walking very far," I replied. To put it bluntly, she became...extremely efficient in very short distances. As I personify her: "...1!...2! OK, let's go back in!" (She's a Texas gal, after all.)

This is a good link on it with a very humorous title:
What Is The Polar Vortex And Why Is It Doing This To Us? So personal I know, but that's how one feels at -8 degrees Fahrenheit (reread the Lab's personification).

CNN gives a primer on it as well, walking the delicate line of whether it's global warming or not - can't upset the armchair experts too much, or Donald Trump. [Personally, I tend not to trust billionaires tied to reality shows that can't purchase a decent toupee or hair implants from "Hair Club for Men."]

I'm not holding my breath that my widget nor the fluctuating temperatures will change anyone's mind. The irrational, made-up mind is beyond logical discussion. Besides, climate denial makes for good ratings when preaching to the convinced choir.

Related links from Science blog:

Yes, it was a remarkable cold snap, but in what way? posted by Coby
Go home Arctic, You're Drunk, Greg Laden
More on weather whiplash and the Polar Vortex, Greg Laden

No comments:

Post a Comment