Brainy Quote of the Day

Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Science of TRON Legacy...

Susan Karlin writes an article for Scientific American on "Physicists give TRON filmmakers the low-down on how to digitize a person and transport him into a computer game."

1982: I attended AFROTC summer camp from NC A&T State University at Platsburgh AFB in Upstate New York. I won the Vice Commandant's Award, failing to get the top prize by 0.01 points: my camp average was 3.89, his was 3.90! I actually walked the streets of downtown Ticonderoga, which I'd only heard about in slapstick references in the "Three Stooges" (and now, I have an affinity towards their pencils - expensive, but very good quality).

We were twenty-somethings attending the movies after leave from the base and the discipline of military life. It was fun and escape. Surprisingly, the movie did not get an Academy Award for Special Effects because it was ahead of its time: using computers for SFX back then was considered CHEATING! Wow!

Scientific American: "Science of TRON: Getting Up to Speed with Teleportation and Quantum Computing"



No comments:

Post a Comment