Brainy Quote of the Day

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Wearing Well...

The world’s first stretchable and conformable thin-film transistor (TFT) driven LED display laminated into textiles developed by Holst Centre, imec and CSMT.
Topics: Consumer Electronics, Humor, Materials Science, Metamaterials, Thin Films

Okay, I've got a wearable device on my wrist that's synced to my smart phone. I often forget to put it on. I input my mass; it monitors the steps I take per day (goal of 10,000) and how long and how "deep" my sleep was. I'm often disappointed.

I could see this catching on with the young initially. As with Facebook and all other social media platforms, they'll exit as soon as the "oldsters" start wearing their favorite duds. Youngsters really should calm down...you're sounding like us.

Researchers from Holst Centre (set up by TNO and imec), imec and CMST, imec’s associated lab at Ghent University, have demonstrated the world’s first stretchable and conformable thin-film transistor (TFT) driven LED display laminated into textiles. This paves the way to wearable displays in clothing providing users with feedback.

Wearable devices such as healthcare monitors and activity trackers are now a part of everyday life for many people. Today’s wearables are separate devices that users must remember to wear. The next step forward will be to integrate these devices into our clothing. Doing so will make wearable devices less obtrusive and more comfortable, encouraging people to use them more regularly and, hence, increasing the quality of data collected. A key step towards realizing wearable devices in clothing is creating displays that can be integrated into textiles to allow interaction with the wearer.

Solid State Technology: Turning clothing into information displays

No comments:

Post a Comment