Brainy Quote of the Day

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Net Zero Buildings


My family and I learned about this technology on a college trip to NC A & T State University (my youngest is majoring in Pre-Architecture at University of Dallas; in-state worked out cheaper) from Dr. Harmohindar Singh.

The above is a research facility in Golden, Colorado.  In the Denver airport, I saw a lot of activity regarding solar energy: advertisements of local professors working within the field in the airport and a solar farm on the property as I rode a courtesy van to the hotel I was staying.

These are basically stand-alone buildings that are completely off the city energy grid using a combination of solar panels, wind turbines, insulation and other types of heat storage technology. It is "zero energy" specifically because it creates as much energy for itself as it uses in a year. It should reduce our need for fossil fuels and thereby our involvement in countries that export same fuels that are...not friendly to the US (to say the least).

New York Times article (July 7): For a Premier Lab, a Net-Zero Showcase.

Here's a link to the National Renewable Energy Laboratory.

No comments:

Post a Comment